Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thanks but No Thanks! PPA180



This close to Thanksgiving I couldn't resist making one more thank you card using that gorgeous Sweater Weather DSP and some fibers from the burlap ribbon!  It has definitely been sweater weather around here - perfect for making desserts for Thanksgiving dinner.  First let me say I hate to cook and am a terrible cook - and my daughter is worse than me for which I take full responsibility. But I do make a decent pie and can rustle up some cookies as needed. Erin arrived Sunday as I was dipping molasses cookies in white chocolate. She offered to start the pie dough for me and wanted to use my Kitchen Aid mixer. I always make dough by hand but I told her to go ahead and try the mixer. We wrapped pie shells to freeze for next week and then baked the scraps of dough sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. After we cleaned up the kitchen we sat down to enjoy our cinnamon crusts but something was definitely amiss. They weren't exactly flaky.............in fact they were downright chewy.........in fact they were downright glue-y!  It was like chewing rubber cement.  So I asked Erin if she had followed the recipe card I gave her.  

"Yes," she said. "First I put in the flour, added the water and mixed.  Then I put in some Crisco and salt."  

Guess I never taught her what cutting in the shortening meant so she just mixed at will.............and yep she made paste........

I will be starting over on those piecrusts tomorrow!


                  Margaret has a fun sketch for us this week at Pals Paper Arts!
                                  PPA180

14 comments:

Brian King said...

Funny story. Beautiful card.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

LOL!! This story was indeed funny, Linda. I wish I could have seen the look on your faces turn from delight and anticipation, to total "what the heck is this???!!" Well, live and learn. I bet your dear daughter will remember to cut the shortening into the flour from now on.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Oh sheeesh!! I forgot to tell you that your card is lovely, on to my "Fabulous cards" folder it goes. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oopsie on the crusts, but hey you got a funny story out of it :)
I really like your take on the sketch! Especially the details of the burlap a strings and Candy Dot.

Marge said...

Nice card. Loved the story even though you had to redo the crusts. Use the pie crust dough in the refrigerated section in the store, it's much easier.

Brenda in IN said...

Your card is great but the story cracked me up.

Dawn Tidd said...

:) sorry, but I am laughing right now! I love what you did with the burlap under that leaf...with the Candy Dot!

Shannon Jaramillo said...

Love your card...you made all the patterns blend perfectly...but the candy dot is the icing on the cake! Yay for candy dots :)

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Oh yeah, sweater weather, thanks for the reminder, lol. I have mine stashed and need to unstash it quick. Love this fabulous design.

Anonymous said...

lol! how funny. love your use of the dsp.
paper hugs,
m

Bobbi-spapertrail.blogspot.com said...

Tooo funny! You sure do make some great memories with that family of yours! Love it! And, I love your card too! Happy Thanksgiving....

Michelle Quinno said...

LOL, too funny! Your card is fabulous! I love the sweater dp.

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Linda love your card and especially the pieces of burlap. So cool and it adds so much interest.
Now I loved your story...
I remember watching my mom - a pie perfectionist - cut the Crisco into her pie dough. I loved watching her... and she totally got a rhythm going. The pie was scrumptious! although I can bake a mean pie and I could never copy that Crisco cutting technique. hugs

Bonnie said...

What an adventure in cooking? I've made a mess of my share of pie crust and get the refrigerated, rolled crusts now! But your card is a huge success! So pretty with that leaf and I love the way you've used the burlap fibers!